Parkville, a tiny neighborhood that sits below Kensington and is often considered part of the larger neighborhood, came from land colonized by Dutch farmers as part of the town of Flatbush.
Its predecessor was Greenfield, an area that came to be when the United Freeman’s Association bought the Ditmas and Tredwell family farms in 1851 and laid out streets. The first residencies were then built in this land called Greenfield.
Greenfield became Parkville in 1870 and after Ocean Parkway was completed in 1876, development in the area accelerated.
Kensington was named around the turn of the century and with time, Parkville came to be considered by many as a part of Kensington.